Old 22-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Berti Ferranti

Wayne C. Morris schrieb:
In article 000901c5473f$4b82eb30$6101a8c0@Alan,
(Alan Walker) wrote:

Berti: As Jim says, growing bonsai from seed requires vast
patience.
Aside from that, however, wrapping the seeds in clingwrap
(I presume you mean plastic wrap from the kitchen) to create "a
sort of greenhouse effect" is probably fatal. A common problem
with seedlings is damping off, and this "greenhouse effect" is
keeping them moist and anaerobic, just the right conditions for
fungi to decimate the seeds. A good greenhouse has excellent
ventilation. Your clingwrap could not.
Alan Walker

He put the plastic wrap over seeds, not seedlings. I assume he'll remove
it as soon as the seeds sprout.

Yup, quite right.

This technique has been suggested in a number of gardening sources. It
serves the same purpose as the clear plastic domes on those mini-greenhouse
plant starter trays. It helps keep the moisture level in the soil fairly
constant, which the seeds need to germinate. The plastic should be removed
when the seeds germinate.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/library/weekly/aa012299.htm
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00155.asp
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/landscap/h1139w.htm
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1034.html
http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/ge...ojectswithSeed
s.cfm

Thanks for the advice, Wayne. I assume the rest is OK, too? Seeing that
seed viabiliity check with the water I am wondering whether I haven't
been sold dead seed...

cheers Berti