Old 23-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Elaine T

Reel McKoi wrote:
About 10 days ago I put a huge bunch of parrots feather in my larger pond.
Within a day or so the koi went into a 48 hour breeding frenzy. I removed
the PF and spread it out between a kiddy pool and 3 planted barrels. I
looked carefully at sundown and saw quadrillions of koi fry swimming all
over the place. Eeeeek! I poured some green water in the barrels and pool.
I'm clueless as to what to feed them that would be tiny enough. I crumbled
flakes into a powder. I hope a few survive. I know a few will in the pond
itself. I never had so many to hatch out like this. I'm sure there wont be
enough natural food for them all so they'll need supplemental feedings.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12865/spawning.html has some ideas. I'd skip
the egg yolk because it does awful things to water quality.

Green water is a good start. Any baby fish will eat infusoria living on
the green water. If you're lucky there will even be some daphnia.
Start hatching out some baby brine shrimp once the fry look big enough
to take them. If you put them shrimp eggs somewhere warm, they'll hatch
as soon as 24 hours, cooler temps take 2-3 days. The reddish napulii
are a fantastic starter food for just about any fish once they've
graduated from infusoria in the greenwater. If you have any submerged
plants with green fuzz algae (even from an indoor fishtank), toss those
in with the fry as well. Most fish with a liking for greenery like koi
will pick at soft fuzz algae as babies.

After the baby brine shrimp, they'll be ready for pulverized koi food.
I either crumble flakes or use a mortar and pestle to grind adult
pellets for baby fish if they're really small.

http://www.thekrib.com/Food/brine-shrimp.html has all you'll ever need
to know about hatching brine shrimp. I've done it to grow out baby
tropicals, and it's really quite easy.

Good luck!

--
Elaine T __