Old 23-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
From another thread Charlie Pridham
writes

Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects

the
flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but

they
certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant

be
ripping them out just yet!)

If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
and two that complement each other would be really good.

Janet

Posting on UK.rec.gardening newsgroup.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Ones that have done well in adversity for me are, Abundance, Alba Luxurians,
Sodertalje, Prince Charles, Minuet, Madam Julia Correvon, Margot Koster,
Vanessa & Huldine (both later) and of course Polish Spirit. There are loads
more! I like these because you can cut them away in winter and the window of
opportunity for doing so is from November to late April. Plus they flower on
mass in the summer (late summer in the case of Huldine and Vanessa) and
never affect the flowering of what ever they are growing on. Nick has
suggested the Alpina sorts but they for me don't perform as well, seeming to
not like our soggy winters (although I have a few and like them)
Do try, you will find as I have that Clematis perform much better through
plants than on fences anyway.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk