Old 24-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Anil Kaushik

Don

The "rules" of Bonsai are in fact GUIDELINES based on aesthetics which we employ
to create a beautiful Bonsai. These rules have come out from the experience of
the top Bonsaiests over a period of time and we follow these. For example if
you take a branch from the inner curve or keep the front root while developing
the nebari, heavens are not going to fall; but that will not look it as good as
otherwise. Try it on some Potensai and compare it with the one which has been
made as per the rule of Bonsai and judge yourself objectively. Nevertheless for
the sake of aesthetics you can ignore these rules if the design so demands. As
Dan Barton says "break the rule to make the rule" and justify. If you follow
the rules blindly, all your trees will become stereo type and strain your
creativity. Follow the rules but not rigidly.

Regards.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"