Old 23-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Don Walker

Default [IBC] Bonsai rules

I've read much (including archives of this list) in which the author
refers to the "rules" of bonsai. I've picked up a few here and there
but have wondered if there were a source that was generally accepted as
authoritative.

Does anyone know of a place where a semi-beginner might find them?

I understand that the rule police will not come and get me if I have my
primary branch on an inside curve or if my interesting nebari has a root
pointing at the viewer. But I do think I should know them and attempt
to understand their value before considering whether to disregard them.

I have a vision, if I might be indulged, of a strict Japanese bonsai
master instructing his students in the Rules. This sage would
continually reinforce his requirement that the Rules be followed.
Eventually, an advanced student asserts a position that a particular
tree, perhaps a favorite of the master, _needs_ a rule violation to be
truly great. Surprisingly, the master does not become angry but asks
simply, "Why?" As the student finishes his passionate explanation and
stands ready to defend his belief the master hands the student the tree
and says that the tree is now his, he may "ruin" it as he wishes. But a
small smile grows on his face as he walks away.

-Don

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 4/23/2005 12:09:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Does anyone know of a place where a semi-beginner might find them?

Check out

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Old 23-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Bart Thomas

Don:

I think you are looking for David deGroot's book, Basic Bonsai Design.

Details at http://www.absbonsai.org/books/bbd.html

where you can order it.

Regards,

Bart
[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Alan Walker

Don: Virtually every book on bonsai will have a number of
"rules". As you suspect, rules are part of the teaching/learning
process. And the whole is more than the sum of the parts.
As suggested by Bart, Dave DeGroot's book on bonsai
design articulates many of these "rules" in an easy to follow
manner. So does Naka's Bonsai Techniques I (& II). Yoshimura &
Halford's book is a classic which also does a great job guiding
you through the rules.
Like most things in life, we do best when we come to
strike a balance with rules. Anarchy is a disaster, but so is
strict fascist adherence.
Alan Walker

Old 23-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Jim Lewis

writes:

Does anyone know of a place where a semi-beginner might find them?

Check out

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm

I hadn't seen Brent's "Rules." As usual, well done. I was going to
recommend Dave Degroot's booklet, but Bart beat me to it. Naka I is
good, too.

Another that few people have and that is concise, as most all of Tom's
work is, is "Bonsai Manual for Appreciating, Judging, and Buying
Bonsai." It's another ABS publication.

All this said, if anyone ever designed a tree that followed all the
rules, he or she would have a terribly dull tree.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see land as
a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and
respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 24-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Anil Kaushik

Don

The "rules" of Bonsai are in fact GUIDELINES based on aesthetics which we employ
to create a beautiful Bonsai. These rules have come out from the experience of
the top Bonsaiests over a period of time and we follow these. For example if
you take a branch from the inner curve or keep the front root while developing
the nebari, heavens are not going to fall; but that will not look it as good as
otherwise. Try it on some Potensai and compare it with the one which has been
made as per the rule of Bonsai and judge yourself objectively. Nevertheless for
the sake of aesthetics you can ignore these rules if the design so demands. As
Dan Barton says "break the rule to make the rule" and justify. If you follow
the rules blindly, all your trees will become stereo type and strain your
creativity. Follow the rules but not rigidly.

Regards.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"