Old 24-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:41:59 GMT, Dawn wrote:

Do you think I could store it tightly wrapped in a refridgerator? I
happen to have an extra one in the garage. I'm worried about the
basement, which gets quite damp in the summer. (damp enough that laundry
won't dry there)

Might be a bit damp in the basement (have you looked at dehumidifiers? Or the
cause? That much humidity in a house can be more than problematic -- e.g.:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...dampbase ment
http://www.homemoisture.org/kyhh/ae1204-1.htm ).

Yes, refrigerator storage is great. 50oF at 50% relative humidity is what
we used for a year's storage in a seed laboratory. Generally, for every
10% drop in relative humidity, or 10oF drop in temperature, seed life
doubles (or halves, with each increase). James' rule for orthodox seed
storage is the sum of relative humidity and temperature in degrees F should
be 100 or less for satisfactory storage.

Kay