Old 20-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Dawn

Default good brands of grass seed?

Can anyone recommend a "good" brand of grass seed or tell me how to
determine if a bag of seed is "good quality"? I ask because I've come to
the conclusion that I need to seed, fertilize and weed control the yard
better if we want grass, and I keep reading that I need "good" seed
that doesn't have weeds in it. How do you tell? (because they all claim
to be the best)

And on the subject of grass, how do you pick a variety that will do
well? I have such a mix of conditions, full sun, heavy shade, partial,
on poor soil with dry summers and winters (zone 5). The yard is bare in
spots and a foot deep in others. I'd really like something a little more
even.

Dawn

Old 21-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Chuckie

There is something called a landscapers mix and I hear it works well in
many different conditions.
Chuckie

Old 21-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Stephen Henning

Most grass seed comes from Oregon. They have strict laws about noxious
weeds and can produce a purer seed. Brand only matters in it may
reflect on the integrity with which they select better more expensive
seed when it is required. I look at the better brands and then buy the
cheapest that has the same contents. Usually bulk is the cheapest if you
can get it. You can make your own mix.

I am only familiar with grasses grown in the northern states. They have
some very strange grasses in the deep south: Bermuda, St. Augustine,
Zoysia, etc.

There are three main types of grass for the northern areas:

Blue grass is a nice grass but needs a lot of fertilizer and is very
labor intensive. It is best to get a mixture of several varieties in
case something comes along that kills one variety. It will not tolerate
shade, drought or poor soil.

Fescues are tougher, more shade tolerant and a little courser. Creeping
fescue is good for shady areas. Tall fescue is good for drier areas and
withstands heat the best, but is less shade tolerant and cold tolerant.
Also, fescues are the greenest grasses in winter.

Rye comes in annual which is a quick germinating grass that lasts one
season and perennial which is also a very tough but course grass. It
will tolerate shade but does not like dry conditions.

Usually one selects the mix they need such as shade mix, playgound mix,
or regular high grade blue grass. Shade mixes have more fescues.
Playground mixes have more perennial rye. Scotts mixes have more blue
grass since it requires the most fertilizer, etc.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 21-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:46:22 GMT, Dawn wrote:
Can anyone recommend a "good" brand of grass seed or tell me how to
determine if a bag of seed is "good quality"? I ask because I've come to
the conclusion that I need to seed, fertilize and weed control the yard
better if we want grass, and I keep reading that I need "good" seed
that doesn't have weeds in it. How do you tell? (because they all claim
to be the best)

I'd start with a soil test, if at all possible. See:
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~sccdistrict/soilspub.htm

And on the subject of grass, how do you pick a variety that will do
well? I have such a mix of conditions, full sun, heavy shade, partial,
on poor soil with dry summers and winters (zone 5). The yard is bare in
spots and a foot deep in others. I'd really like something a little more
even.

Can you stand to wait till late summer/early fall to seed? You'll get much
better establishment then. In the meantime, you can figure out what you want,
do some liming and fertilization, and perhaps some spot tillage and then head
after the perennial weeds.

Here's pretty much how I'd do it:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/news/sty/2001/wantgoodlawn.htm

There are a couple of possible gotchas he most lawn seed is sold in the
spring. Most lawn seed available in the fall has sat on some hot storeroom
shelf all summer long, and will not be as viable as it was when it was tested.
I'd buy now and store it in the basement over the summer, on a pallet, not
directly on the concrete floor.

What seed to buy? Brand name is usually immaterial. Buy the species you want
(in Kansas, usually Kentucky bluegrass for sunny areas, turf-type fescues
for shadier areas. If you've got distinct sun and shade areas, it makes more
sense to buy some bluegrass and some fescue separately, rather than a mix.)
I don't go for high maintenance lawns, so I prefer to see a variety of
cultivars (variety of one species) rather than a single cultivar. Or I'd
prefer to buy seed that has not been selected for uniformity. No point in
putting your eggs in one genetic basket, imho, unless you like being a lawn
slave.

How to buy: look on the label. You'll see several things on it:
-- species that you're buying
-- percentage germination
-- species you don't want (weed seeds)
-- amount of loose, inviable matter (usually bits of broken chaff) (inerts)

What I do:
1) reject seed lots that have weed species I don't want to deal with
(weeds in one part of the country may not be bad in another)

2) figure the actual cost of pure, live seed.
Take the percentage of the seed you want (let's say you're dealing
with 96% Kentucky bluegrass), and multiply by the germination rate
(let's say 85%), and divide by 100:
(96 Ky bluegrass * 85 germination)/100 = 76.5% PLS (pure, live seed)

What this means is that of every 100 seed bits you plant, you can expect
a maximum of 76.5 to come up and be what you want.

3) figure the cost per pound of PLS: in this case, let's say the price
per pound is $1, but really only 76.5% is seed that's going to grow.
So the real cost per pound is 1.00/0.765 or about $1.31/lb of pls
This turns out to be really useful in figuring out the better deals.

I'd also urge you to consider some of the new "high endophyte" turf grasses if
you live in suburbia and aren't likely to ever have grazing animals. They're
more resistant to pests and diseases. Or you might consider some of the
native grasses, perhaps buffalo grass, Buchloe dactyloides, for a very
drought tolerant lawn.

Kay Lancaster

Old 22-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Dawn

Thanks to everyone who replied, I've learned a lot.

Can you stand to wait till late summer/early fall to seed?

No problem, we've lived it with a year already. I don't mind storing
seed in the basement until fall.

Here's pretty much how I'd do it:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/news/sty/2001/wantgoodlawn.htm

That pretty much exactly covers my yard, thanks.

Dawn

Old 23-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Dawn

Kay Lancaster wrote:

There are a couple of possible gotchas he most lawn seed is sold in the
spring. Most lawn seed available in the fall has sat on some hot storeroom
shelf all summer long, and will not be as viable as it was when it was tested.
I'd buy now and store it in the basement over the summer, on a pallet, not
directly on the concrete floor.

Do you think I could store it tightly wrapped in a refridgerator? I
happen to have an extra one in the garage. I'm worried about the
basement, which gets quite damp in the summer. (damp enough that laundry
won't dry there)

Dawn

Old 23-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Stephen Henning

Dawn wrote:

Kay Lancaster wrote:
There are a couple of possible gotchas he most lawn seed is sold in the
spring. Most lawn seed available in the fall has sat on some hot storeroom
shelf all summer long, and will not be as viable as it was when it was
tested.
I'd buy now and store it in the basement over the summer, on a pallet, not
directly on the concrete floor.

Do you think I could store it tightly wrapped in a refridgerator? I
happen to have an extra one in the garage. I'm worried about the
basement, which gets quite damp in the summer. (damp enough that laundry
won't dry there)

Sure, but seal the seed so it isn't dessicated. A frost free
refrigerator would be bad. Also, turn the temperature up to the 50s.

Planting in the spring is not bad. Grass can even be planted in mid
summer. However, most grasses are cold weather plants and do best in
cool weather. Depending upon where you live, if you plant it now and
keep it deep watered, it will do very well. Deep watering is a good
drenching approximately once a week. Daily sprinkles do more harm than
good. You want the surface to dry out between waterings so the roots
will grow deep. Most people spread straw over the ground after seeding
to keep the soil cooler and shade the new seedlings. If you have a
choice, fall planting is best, but spring planting is second best. If
the spring germination is not too strong, you can then overseed in the
fall and it will fill in nicely. Also, annual ryes only work in the
spring and shoot up first and help shade the perennial grasses. A mix
with annual rye is a waste of money in the fall.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 24-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:41:59 GMT, Dawn wrote:

Do you think I could store it tightly wrapped in a refridgerator? I
happen to have an extra one in the garage. I'm worried about the
basement, which gets quite damp in the summer. (damp enough that laundry
won't dry there)

Might be a bit damp in the basement (have you looked at dehumidifiers? Or the
cause? That much humidity in a house can be more than problematic -- e.g.:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...dampbase ment
http://www.homemoisture.org/kyhh/ae1204-1.htm ).

Yes, refrigerator storage is great. 50oF at 50% relative humidity is what
we used for a year's storage in a seed laboratory. Generally, for every
10% drop in relative humidity, or 10oF drop in temperature, seed life
doubles (or halves, with each increase). James' rule for orthodox seed
storage is the sum of relative humidity and temperature in degrees F should
be 100 or less for satisfactory storage.

Kay

[IMG] code is On

Pump brands (submersibles) Roy Ponds 4 24-08-2004 03:42 PM
We buy-back broken and damaged cell-phones of all brands. Thank you! Texas 0 05-07-2004 08:03 PM
Types (or brands) of Sand in Freshwater aquarium Jimmy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 13-01-2004 11:32 AM
Sprinklers, timers, valves, what are bad/good brands Martin Hirsch Gardening 3 20-06-2003 12:32 AM
Comments on Brands of Mag Drive Pumps Daniel Z Ponds 0 29-04-2003 08:56 AM