Old 24-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-04-23, Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

On my new allotment there is quite a lot of grass; without using any
manufacured pesticides, is digging it out my best option to get rid?

You can kill grass (and most weeds) if you deprive it of all light for
long enough, by covering with thick layers of cardboard or old carpets
(not rubber-backed, they disintegrate) ior black plastic. Weigh the
cover down with planks or bricks to make sure no light gets in.

"Long enough" being about the same as this here piece of string?

If using plastic or card, you can still plant some crops. Cut an X,
peel it back, put in a potato or courgette plant etc and tuck the
corners back dow,

Thanks again Janet.

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)