Old 23-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Ceri Davies

Default Clearing grass

On my new allotment there is quite a lot of grass; without using any
manufacured pesticides, is digging it out my best option to get rid?

Cheers,

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)
Old 24-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-04-23, Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

On my new allotment there is quite a lot of grass; without using any
manufacured pesticides, is digging it out my best option to get rid?

You can kill grass (and most weeds) if you deprive it of all light for
long enough, by covering with thick layers of cardboard or old carpets
(not rubber-backed, they disintegrate) ior black plastic. Weigh the
cover down with planks or bricks to make sure no light gets in.

"Long enough" being about the same as this here piece of string?

If using plastic or card, you can still plant some crops. Cut an X,
peel it back, put in a potato or courgette plant etc and tuck the
corners back dow,

Thanks again Janet.

Old 24-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Ceri Davies
writes
"Long enough" being about the same as this here piece of string?

The length of time for which the soil is deprived of light will affect
the length of time for which it will remain weed free after removing the
light barrier. A very rough rule of thumb is that the ground treated
will remain weed free for about the same time the barrier is in place.

That is because although the barrier will quickly kill off any top
growth, and some less vigorous root structures, hardier weed roots can
remain alive in those conditions for quite a long time. When exposed to
normal conditions of light, air and water, those still living roots will
reactivate and develop again into plants. For all weed growth to be
eliminated by this method, the barrier needs to be in place for 18-24
months. Even then the area of soil treated will begin to accumulate
weeds by the many other methods in which they are naturally propagated,
i.e. not by the re-growth of those which had already existed there.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Ceri Davies

[...]