Old 24-04-2005, 04:08 PM
John DeGood

Default Is Grammatophyllum scriptum deciduous?

I acquired an out-of-bloom (6 pseudobulbs, 6" pot) Grammatophyllum
scriptum in December when Franks Nurseries went bankrupt. I repotted it
into semi-hydroponics at that time. Several weeks ago leaves began
suddenly turning yellow and dropping within a period of days. It has
now lost more than 3/4 of its leaves, and I suspect the few remaining
will soon turn yellow and drop as well.

Although Grammatophyllum is a member of the Cymbidium Alliance, its
general form and roots seemed similar enough to the Oncidium Alliance
which I have very successfully grown in s/h that I hoped it would also
enjoy that culture. Its roots still look white and firm.

So, if there are any Grammatophyllum experts in this group, is the leaf
loss normal or am I killing this plant? Thanks!

John