Old 24-04-2005, 04:08 PM
John DeGood

Default Is Grammatophyllum scriptum deciduous?

I acquired an out-of-bloom (6 pseudobulbs, 6" pot) Grammatophyllum
scriptum in December when Franks Nurseries went bankrupt. I repotted it
into semi-hydroponics at that time. Several weeks ago leaves began
suddenly turning yellow and dropping within a period of days. It has
now lost more than 3/4 of its leaves, and I suspect the few remaining
will soon turn yellow and drop as well.

Although Grammatophyllum is a member of the Cymbidium Alliance, its
general form and roots seemed similar enough to the Oncidium Alliance
which I have very successfully grown in s/h that I hoped it would also
enjoy that culture. Its roots still look white and firm.

So, if there are any Grammatophyllum experts in this group, is the leaf
loss normal or am I killing this plant? Thanks!

John
Old 24-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Ray

John,

Grammatophyllums are not deciduous, but need very warm, very humid
conditions, or they will blow their leaves and not thrive.

They seem to do fine in S/H culture, if the other criteria are met.

Old 24-04-2005, 06:22 PM
dusty

Thanks for posting this John it reminded me that a friend gave me 3 after
they stopped blooming last summer. I'm fairly sure they also came from
Franks. I never did find a good culture sheet on them so I also need a
Grammatophyllum expert.

Mine came in sphagnum,I really do not like sphagnum but these looked really
happy in it so I kept them that way and yeup they still look happy.
So my question is how much and how often do you feed these things.

Mine did not loose their leaves and 2 of the three are now putting out new
growth. I think I read somewhere that if the air stayed stagnant around
them it would cause them to drop their leaves. I'm not a 100% sure of this
as I have a fan that runs when the temp gets above 75 so it wouldn't be
something that would have burned it's self into my memory.

Waiting for the Grammatophyllum scriptum experts to speak.

Dusty

Old 24-04-2005, 10:26 PM
profpam

Hi John,

I don't know of any Grammatophyllums that are deciduous. Just don't
allow temps to drop below 65 and you will be better off. I have several
different specious and have been growing these for about 10 years. They
like indirect light and water; however, too much water may lend itself
to foliage droppage.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

-------------------------------------

Old 25-04-2005, 01:40 AM
V_coerulea

I'm wondering if maybe you let it go too dry for a period. My Gramm scriptum
is v. citrinum 'Hihimanu' and is in bark in a 2 gallon pot and sits under
the vandas where it's always getting good water. It sits right next to a 2
gallon pot of Angraecum sesquipedale 'Orchidglade II' (which is in
fantastic bloom right now) and an 8" pot of Angraecum eburneum superbum.
Winter night temps go down to 60 but days go to 80. It has 4 pbulbs with
leaves, 1 without, and is sending out new growth.
I'd venture a guess that it's the s/h. No reason other than:
Good Plant + New Conditions = Bad Plant
Repot the plant, put it in some warm shade until it stabilizes and/or starts
new growth. Try some very dilute fertilizer and a drop of SuperThrive as
long as the roots are good. Good Luck.
Gary

Old 13-05-2005, 10:42 AM
dusty

wrote in
:

Grammatophyllum

WOW! Great growing.
I have 3 plants. they are in my greenhouse east central Missouri with lots
of Cattleyas, they are planted in sphagnum moss and everything gets watered
twice a week for 5 minutes using an automatic system. Temperature at night
is 65 F day time temperatures can run above 80 F even with vents open in
winter as I have a high solar gain. The greenhouse gets shaded by a tree
in summer and with plastic lattus in spring & fall.
Neither has bloomed since they where given to me but they are starting
their fist new growths since I got them. I'm sure sphagnum contains very
few nutrients and I'm wondering what fertilizer to use. I currently use the
OTC stuff that every Tom, Dick and Harry store carries which seems to work
well with Cattleyas but I only feed them once a month.
I've used Google to try to find culture sheets but so far I've only found
pay sights with Grammatophyllum information.

Thanks for the reply
Dusty

Old 24-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Kenni Judd

We are just starting to grow these, so we don't have a long track record ...
someone who's been growing them longer might have better advice. But based
on about one year's experience:

I don't think they are truly deciduous, but they do seem to be very prone to
leaf-drop at any hint of stess. E.g., we had a lot of leaf-drop right after
they came in, then it calmed down. ttyl, Kenni

wrote in message
.. .
I am no expert but have 5 gram's all different...have them all in expanded
clay, watered twice ,about 15 minutes apart for 15 minutes twice a week,
depending on the weather...live in south florida...they are inside a
screened in pool.and get sun from about 8 am till sundown. 4 of the plants
are blooming like crazy..one of them gas 9 spikes full of flowers and
buds..if you want pictures let me know