Old 24-04-2005, 10:31 PM
William R. Watt

Newt ) writes:
William R. Watt Wrote:
Newt ) writes:- William R. Watt Wrote:-
I have some tree cuttings soaking in water. The buds are starting to
sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after 3+ weeks. Do I wait for
roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have leaves before roots?
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network homepage:www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's
returned-

Hi William,

And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???

Newt-

butternut

William, the good news is you get to enjoy the leaves for a while. The
bad news is that these trees need to be propagated by planting the nuts
or by grafting, which appears to be difficult for this tree. Here's

The bad news is I have difficulty beating the local squirrels to ripe
nuts, or even telling when the nuts are ripe enough to take from the tree for
germination. Waiting for them to drop is not a very good strategy.

I did plant some nuts but no sign of germination yet.
I'd like to grow a "banzai butternut" indoors in a pot.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm