Old 22-04-2005, 04:08 PM
William R. Watt

Default when to transplant tree cuttings?

I have some tree cuttings soaking in water.
The buds are starting to sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after
3+ weeks. Do I wait for roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have leaves
before roots?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 22-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by William R. Watt
I have some tree cuttings soaking in water.
The buds are starting to sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after 3+ weeks. Do I wait for roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have leaves
before roots?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Hi William,

And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 23-04-2005, 02:52 PM
William R. Watt

Newt ) writes:
William R. Watt Wrote:
I have some tree cuttings soaking in water.
The buds are starting to sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after
3+ weeks. Do I wait for roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have
leaves
before roots?

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's
returned

--
Newt

butternut
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 23-04-2005, 05:37 PM
enigma

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

Newt ) writes:
William R. Watt Wrote:
I have some tree cuttings soaking in water.
The buds are starting to sprout leaves but no sign of roots
yet after 3+ weeks. Do I wait for roots? Is it normal for
cuttings to have leaves
before roots?

And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???

butternut

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fn...s.cuttings.pdf

apparently butternut cuttings may root, but not in a bucket of
water.
it looks like you'll need rooting hormone (willow water should
work), plant in moist sterile medium under a mist tent.
are you sure your cuttings are canker free?
lee
Old 23-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered User

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Hi William,

And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???

Newt

butternut
William, the good news is you get to enjoy the leaves for a while. The bad news is that these trees need to be propagated by planting the nuts or by grafting, which appears to be difficult for this tree. Here's some sites you should find informative.
http://www.atl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/index...tternut-e.html
http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/inwood/pas...tButternut.htm
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...but/ht_but.htm
http://www.cobjon.com/butternut.html

And from this site:
http://ecsong.ca/vol15no1.html#P
"Butternut Salvage

As most of you already know, the butternut population across North America is being devastated by a fatal canker disease. Already most southern butternuts have gone, and the infection are wide spread even here in the north. A program is underway to find and propagate butternuts shown to be resistant. There is reason to be optimistic as such trees are known to exist.

However, most trees are doomed. Guy Lefebvre and others have suggested that dying trees should be cut, in part to possibly slow the spread, but at the same time to at least gain the wood. Though the logging industry might be interested in such a harvest in ideal conditions, most butternuts are too isolated to offer economical advantage. If you are the owner of a doomed tree, you could consider harvesting it yourself. This would remove the illness from the site, and provide you with valuable butternut wood that could be crafted into future heirloom furniture for your progeny. Members are invited to contact ECSONG's new chair, Len Collett, who is interested in such work and may be able to advise or assist you in your endeavour."

Newt
__________________

Old 23-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma

Lee, great site.

Newt
__________________
Old 24-04-2005, 10:24 PM
William R. Watt

enigma ) writes:

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fn...s.cuttings.pdf

apparently butternut cuttings may root, but not in a bucket of
water.
it looks like you'll need rooting hormone (willow water should
work), plant in moist sterile medium under a mist tent.

thanks fro the information

are you sure your cuttings are canker free?

from what I've read the spores are carried down the tree by runoff. If you
go out when the sap is just starting to run, snow still on the ground, no
leaves or bud activity, you can see where the black sap oozes out of the
limbs. Not difficult to avoid infected limbs then. Actaully a goo dtime to
prune infected areas. Later when the tree dries out it's hard to tell
where the cancers are.

lee

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 24-04-2005, 10:31 PM
William R. Watt

Newt ) writes:
William R. Watt Wrote:
Newt ) writes:- William R. Watt Wrote:-
I have some tree cuttings soaking in water. The buds are starting to
sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after 3+ weeks. Do I wait for
roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have leaves before roots?
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network homepage:www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's
returned-

Hi William,

And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???

Newt-

butternut

William, the good news is you get to enjoy the leaves for a while. The
bad news is that these trees need to be propagated by planting the nuts
or by grafting, which appears to be difficult for this tree. Here's

The bad news is I have difficulty beating the local squirrels to ripe
nuts, or even telling when the nuts are ripe enough to take from the tree for
germination. Waiting for them to drop is not a very good strategy.

I did plant some nuts but no sign of germination yet.
I'd like to grow a "banzai butternut" indoors in a pot.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 24-04-2005, 11:55 PM
enigma

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

enigma ) writes:

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fn...uglans.cutting
s.pdf

apparently butternut cuttings may root, but not in a
bucket of
water.
it looks like you'll need rooting hormone (willow water
should
work), plant in moist sterile medium under a mist tent.

thanks fro the information

i was thinking warning g...
Lee Valley Tools sells propagating pots that fasten onto a
branch, which you cut after the roots have formed in the pot.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...cat=2,47236&p=
46938
sorry about the wrap. anyway, it might be something to try.
all my butternuts have canker, so i don't think i can
propagate them.
OTOH, i have an American chestnut that was butchered to take
out all the chestnut blight & it's doing really well now. has
a large crop of nuts every fall & no sign of new blight.
i have 2 seedlings started from that tree this spring. maybe
they'll be blight resistant.
lee
Old 25-04-2005, 01:57 PM
William R. Watt

enigma ) writes:

all my butternuts have canker, so i don't think i can
propagate them.

the cankers are localized.
should be okay to propagate from uninfected limbs.
I'm attempting to propagate wild trees on public land as a hobby.

I attended the ECSONG initial nut tree festival here in Ottawa in January.
There was an interesting presentation on butternut research in the former
Soviet union by a researcher who now works for Agriculuture Canada. Hope
the festival becomes an annual event.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm