Old 24-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Mook23

Default Help with x-breeding experiment

Hi folks, I've brought this topic up in this group before and people looked
at me like I had two heads. However, I've made a little head way since I
first appreared a few years ago and I'm looking for further input.

My long term project is to create a pepper/tomato hybrid that is spicy like
a pepper but retains tomato properties. Now that you're done laughing, read
on a little further.

I found a species of tomato that seems share some characteristics with the
common garden bell pepper. The "Striped Cavern"
http://www.rachelssupply.com/Tomato.htm
(near the bottom of the page)
looks like a good tomato to start with. As I understand it, the gene that
controls whether a pepper is "hot" or not is dominant and that polen from a
hot pepper can render non-hot peppers hot if you grow from seed. So, here's
the next step. I've got to introduce some polen from a suitable hot pepper
to the Striped Cavern. Should I first concentrate on trying to get results
from cross breeding the tomato with a regular bell pepper (the two species
are MUCH closer than any other tomato/pepper combination would be) and then
introduce some hot pepper pollen a few generations down the road? The idea
is to get this species of tomato to produce some heat, then breed it with a
more robust tomato to get a jucier inside.

How should I go about this. I've got a pretty good idea that it will
eventually work out for me, but is simple cross pollination enough to
achieve the desired results? Will this even result in fertile seeds, or
will I get some kind of weird plant that I can only propigate through
cuttings?

Any help is greatly appreciated, although please refrain from making fun of
me. I got enough of that last time around.