Old 25-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Tiziano

HI I have something with about 70 rueles useful for a newbe but it is in
italian

Don Walker wrote:

I've read much (including archives of this list) in which the author
refers to the "rules" of bonsai. I've picked up a few here and there
but have wondered if there were a source that was generally accepted as
authoritative.

Does anyone know of a place where a semi-beginner might find them?

I understand that the rule police will not come and get me if I have my
primary branch on an inside curve or if my interesting nebari has a root
pointing at the viewer. But I do think I should know them and attempt
to understand their value before considering whether to disregard them.

I have a vision, if I might be indulged, of a strict Japanese bonsai
master instructing his students in the Rules. This sage would
continually reinforce his requirement that the Rules be followed.
Eventually, an advanced student asserts a position that a particular
tree, perhaps a favorite of the master, _needs_ a rule violation to be
truly great. Surprisingly, the master does not become angry but asks
simply, "Why?" As the student finishes his passionate explanation and
stands ready to defend his belief the master hands the student the tree
and says that the tree is now his, he may "ruin" it as he wishes. But a
small smile grows on his face as he walks away.

-Don

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++