Old 25-04-2005, 05:07 AM
paghat

In article ws.com,
wrote:

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Alan

Once a couple squirrels learn about tomatos it's hard to get them to
unlearn it. Generally tomatos are not something they like very much, but
if there is no easy water source, squirrels & chipmunks will break open
tomatoes to get water. Sometimes providing them with another source of
water keeps them off the tomatos, although that works best BEFORE they
learn they can get a drink by busting them open, before they get a taste
for flavored water. If you feed the squirrels something fatty like
peanuts, crushed walnuts, sunflower seeds, or even just corn which they
love to distraction, they would be inclined to ignore such secondary foods
as tomatos or leaf buds & all the less-liked back-up foods.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html