Old 25-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Go over the considerable literature that has been written on the breeding of
New World Solanum, Lycopersicon and Capsicum as well as the taxonomic
literature and recent DNA studies and you will find plenty of info on the
interrelationship between the genera. It will save you time with your idle
speculation once you enlighten yourself on what is already known. That is
what you should see, you mook. I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying you
should be more realistic about the actual limitations. You are stepping into
well trod ground here. Your idea is not a new one at all.

"Mook23" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
.. .
If such an intergeneric cross were possible, it most certainly would have
been done long ago in Pre-Columbian times.

Since there is no such thing as a Capsicum X Lycopersicon hybrid, you
figure out whether it is possible or not. Simply crossing the two plants
won't work.

You would need to employ sophisticated gene splicing techniques that
probably would NOT get FDA approval!!!!

Well, seeing as how very few of the wild species that existed in
pre-columbian times still exist, and that the fruit we currently enjoy as
tomatos bear little resemblence to the orriginal wild species, I wouldn't
dismiss it out of hand just yet. We shall see.