Old 25-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Kay" wrote in message

What about slug-resistant ones? I want to get some alpinas in the garden
for the early flowers, but I've failed completely in the past because of
slugs chewing the new shoots as soon as they appear. I've now got two
growing in the greenhouse that I'm going to try and plant out when they
are about 6ft and hopefully less attractive to slugs.

Montana, orientalis, armandii, jouiana all do OK, but they're all late
(except armandii), and I don't prune any of them, so they have high up
growth on tough stems. And I have an integrifolia which has now made it
into the top of a rowan and is beginning to take off. But I really would
like to get some early ones settled.
--

I use an "Slug Clear" (or aluminium sulphate) spray on a dry evening after
planting around the area, it slows them up long enough! for the clematis to

I guess I'll just have to give up the idea of early clematis, then. With
so many frogs, I don't like to have dying slugs around.

Do you really mean C. integrefolia? they are normally short 3'ish herbaceous
plants.

Obviously not, then! But I thought that was what it said on the seed
packet - It'll be interesting to see what it really is.
--
Kay