Old 25-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Haymish Pupkin

"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
.uk...
I will be using a clarke hippo 2 pump (which I have used before, cheap
and cheerful) on my 6 meter high waterfall. This pump has a max flow rate
of 85 L/Min. With this in mind I was looking to match the pump with a
Hozelock Bioforce 9000 UVC, however, at max rate the pump can pump about
5000 litres per hour but I know this will be reduced as the pump is
pumping 6 metres up in the air before it reaches the filter. My question
is this; does anyone have any idea how much the flow rate will be reduced
or how I could find out? If the flow rate is halved I could use the
Hozelock Bioforce 4500 UVC instead.

What happens if you exceed the max flow rate on the Hozelock Bioforce
range of filters? Will the unit die because the pressure is too high or
will it just not filter the water as well as it should?

Lifting water a column of water 6 meters? That's probably well out of spec
of any consumer water pump. Assuming no other restrictions on the water
flow. The water itself would create about 8.5 psi of back pressure, I
would be surprised if you produced more then a trickle.

Water comes gushing out at the top no problems. The Hippo has a max head of
6 metres but I think to be honest the waterfall is more like 7 metres,
however, because it's on three tiers there are a couple of points where it
travels horizontally for a few feet.

They have some of the specs for the hippo 2 he

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=051010190

A 6 meter waterfal is rather high, most of us here have 1 meter or less. 6
meters is upto the roof of a 2 story building.

Yes the outlet at the top of the fall is about the same height as the roof
of our house.

Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

The all seeing eye of Google knows everything.
http://www.clarkeinternational.com/
Their website is fairly useless, but I suppose it satisfies the answer to
the question "Do you have a website?"

Thanks for that. I did google, honest but as my gran used to say 'I couldn't
see for lookin' what ever that means.

-S