Old 25-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Haymish Pupkin

Default Pump and filters

Hi all

I'm new to group and have a few questions about pumps and filters.

I will be using a clarke hippo 2 pump (which I have used before, cheap and
cheerful) on my 6 meter high waterfall. This pump has a max flow rate of 85
L/Min. With this in mind I was looking to match the pump with a Hozelock
Bioforce 9000 UVC, however, at max rate the pump can pump about 5000 litres
per hour but I know this will be reduced as the pump is pumping 6 metres up
in the air before it reaches the filter. My question is this; does anyone
have any idea how much the flow rate will be reduced or how I could find
out? If the flow rate is halved I could use the Hozelock Bioforce 4500 UVC
instead.

What happens if you exceed the max flow rate on the Hozelock Bioforce range
of filters? Will the unit die because the pressure is too high or will it
just not filter the water as well as it should?

Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

Many thanks

Regards

Haymish

Old 25-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Sean Dinh

6 Meters is the max lift for that pump. You won't see much
flow besides a trickle, on your 6M high waterfall.

Old 25-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Haymish Pupkin

Haymish Pupkin wrote:

[...]

Yes I know, I have used this pump on this waterfall before and we were happy
with the flow rate. We used to have a Cyprio one I think that cost about
£300 odd quid which was fine at first but we found we preferred a slower
flow rate after a while so we were running a pump that was heavy on juice
and restricting it's flow with a valve. When it died we got a Hippo 2 which
used a lot less power and gave us the perfect flow rate without restriction.
I didn't really expect much from the hippo 2 but was pleasantly surprised.

Does this mean it would be OK to use a Hozelock Bioforce 4500 UVC instead of
the 9000? The pond is split into three tiers with a total size of about 1500
Litres. Could you be more specific about flow rates/ your opinion if
possible?

Thanks.

Haymish

Old 25-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Snooze

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
.uk...
I will be using a clarke hippo 2 pump (which I have used before, cheap and
cheerful) on my 6 meter high waterfall. This pump has a max flow rate of
85 L/Min. With this in mind I was looking to match the pump with a
Hozelock Bioforce 9000 UVC, however, at max rate the pump can pump about
5000 litres per hour but I know this will be reduced as the pump is
pumping 6 metres up in the air before it reaches the filter. My question
is this; does anyone have any idea how much the flow rate will be reduced
or how I could find out? If the flow rate is halved I could use the
Hozelock Bioforce 4500 UVC instead.

What happens if you exceed the max flow rate on the Hozelock Bioforce
range of filters? Will the unit die because the pressure is too high or
will it just not filter the water as well as it should?

Lifting water a column of water 6 meters? That's probably well out of spec
of any consumer water pump. Assuming no other restrictions on the water
flow. The water itself would create about 8.5 psi of back pressure, I would
be surprised if you produced more then a trickle.

A 6 meter waterfal is rather high, most of us here have 1 meter or less. 6
meters is upto the roof of a 2 story building.

Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

The all seeing eye of Google knows everything.
http://www.clarkeinternational.com/
Their website is fairly useless, but I suppose it satisfies the answer to
the question "Do you have a website?"

-S

Old 25-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Gareee©

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote
Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

Google "clark pump" 5th link, phone number at the bottom of the page.

Seems if you REALLY wanted their number, that it would have been pretty easy
to find.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 25-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Snooze

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote
Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

Google "clark pump" 5th link, phone number at the bottom of the page.

Seems if you REALLY wanted their number, that it would have been pretty
easy to find.

You and I didn't really answer the question asked. The proper answer to the
question, after hitting google was "Yes."

Old 25-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Haymish Pupkin

"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Water comes gushing out at the top no problems. The Hippo has a max head of
6 metres but I think to be honest the waterfall is more like 7 metres,
however, because it's on three tiers there are a couple of points where it
travels horizontally for a few feet.

They have some of the specs for the hippo 2 he

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=051010190

A 6 meter waterfal is rather high, most of us here have 1 meter or less. 6
meters is upto the roof of a 2 story building.

Yes the outlet at the top of the fall is about the same height as the roof
of our house.

Does anyone have the phone or e-mail address for the Clarke (hippo) water
pump people?

The all seeing eye of Google knows everything.
http://www.clarkeinternational.com/
Their website is fairly useless, but I suppose it satisfies the answer to
the question "Do you have a website?"

Thanks for that. I did google, honest but as my gran used to say 'I couldn't
see for lookin' what ever that means.

-S

Old 25-04-2005, 05:28 PM
George

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message

"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I believe they make a Hippo 3, which has a higher output (I believe it is rated
at 100 L/min. If you are concerned, and have the money to spend, you might try
upgrading to that pump.