Old 25-04-2005, 07:45 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

"Rod" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:21:25 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

Would sure appreciate it! Do you know how much it takes? and is there
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

Had a look this afternoon, just so we're facing the right way - left
of machine is your left as you stand in the operator's position. Now
if you go to the front of the machine and look underneath from the
left side of the machine you'll see a plug right in the centre at the
lowest point of the transmission casing in front of the axle, the
casing is bigger on the right of the machine next to the wheel and
there's a little plug on the side of that at the lowest point to get
the residual oil from it.

wonderful! thanks for all your help! one last quick question....do you
check oil level by resting the dipstick on the threads or do you screw it
in? i don't suppose it'll make much difference though!

Doesn't make much difference but most machines with screw in dipsticks
expect you to rest the plug on the threads. Just to correct my earlier
post, I had the machine lifted up this afternoon to get a proper look
and when I cleaned the muck away the first 'plug' I referred to is not
a drain plug but appears to be a vent or overflow (I was panicking
when I saw no plug in it, but then found the oil level to be correct)
the real drain plug is small one - the last one I mentioned.
Hope you get on with the Gem, it's still the machine of choice for
serious rotavating - I've yet to see anything better, though it is a
bit of a beast until you get to know it.

many thanks for you help... it is a serious machine! it is currently in a
ditch and i cant get it out on my own! went a bit to close to the edge of
a slope!!

Steve