Old 22-04-2005, 08:20 AM
r.p.mcmurphy

Default Howard Gem...

Hi, Just bought a Gem and i need to know how to drop the gearbox oil and
fill it again with new....can anyone who has experience of these rotovators
tell me? i have not yet been able to get hold of a service manual...but i
keep trying! i have dropped the chain oil and replaced it with engine oil,
and changed the motors oil and the air filter oil.

Thanks In Anticipation!

Steve

Old 22-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Rod

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:20:48 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

Hi, Just bought a Gem and i need to know how to drop the gearbox oil and
fill it again with new....can anyone who has experience of these rotovators
tell me? i have not yet been able to get hold of a service manual...but i
keep trying! i have dropped the chain oil and replaced it with engine oil,
and changed the motors oil and the air filter oil.

Thanks In Anticipation!

The gear oil gets changed so rarely I've forgotten
where the drain plug is. The transmission case has such a huge
capacity that the oil doen't really get hot or dirty. I'll try and
remember to look over the weekend.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 22-04-2005, 11:57 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

Hi, Just bought a Gem and i need to know how to drop the gearbox oil and
fill it again with new....can anyone who has experience of these
rotovators
tell me? i have not yet been able to get hold of a service manual...but i
keep trying! i have dropped the chain oil and replaced it with engine
oil,
and changed the motors oil and the air filter oil.

Thanks In Anticipation!

The gear oil gets changed so rarely I've forgotten
where the drain plug is. The transmission case has such a huge
capacity that the oil doen't really get hot or dirty. I'll try and
remember to look over the weekend.

Rod

Would sure appreciate it! Do you know how much it takes? and is there a
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

ta

Steve

Old 23-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Rod

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:57:23 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

do you know how much it takes? and is there a
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

ta

Steve

There is a plug with a square head on top of the transmission casing -
when you undo that you'll find a dip stick on it. If you like doing
things slowly and messily you can top up through that, there's also a
big square plate bolted on top of the casing, much easier to top up
through that. As I said before I can't remember the capacity but
compared with modern machines it is a *lot*. I might get chance to get
a look for the drain plug if I go in to work tomorrow.

Old 24-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Rod

wrote:

Would sure appreciate it! Do you know how much it takes? and is there a
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

Had a look this afternoon, just so we're facing the right way - left
of machine is your left as you stand in the operator's position. Now
if you go to the front of the machine and look underneath from the
left side of the machine you'll see a plug right in the centre at the
lowest point of the transmission casing in front of the axle, the
casing is bigger on the right of the machine next to the wheel and
there's a little plug on the side of that at the lowest point to get
the residual oil from it.

Old 24-04-2005, 09:21 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

Would sure appreciate it! Do you know how much it takes? and is there a
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

Had a look this afternoon, just so we're facing the right way - left
of machine is your left as you stand in the operator's position. Now
if you go to the front of the machine and look underneath from the
left side of the machine you'll see a plug right in the centre at the
lowest point of the transmission casing in front of the axle, the
casing is bigger on the right of the machine next to the wheel and
there's a little plug on the side of that at the lowest point to get
the residual oil from it.

wonderful! thanks for all your help! one last quick question....do you
check oil level by resting the dipstick on the threads or do you screw it
in? i don't suppose it'll make much difference though!

Steve

Old 25-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Rod

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:21:25 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

Would sure appreciate it! Do you know how much it takes? and is there a
level hole or other means of checking oil level?

Had a look this afternoon, just so we're facing the right way - left
of machine is your left as you stand in the operator's position. Now
if you go to the front of the machine and look underneath from the
left side of the machine you'll see a plug right in the centre at the
lowest point of the transmission casing in front of the axle, the
casing is bigger on the right of the machine next to the wheel and
there's a little plug on the side of that at the lowest point to get
the residual oil from it.

wonderful! thanks for all your help! one last quick question....do you
check oil level by resting the dipstick on the threads or do you screw it
in? i don't suppose it'll make much difference though!

Doesn't make much difference but most machines with screw in dipsticks
expect you to rest the plug on the threads. Just to correct my earlier
post, I had the machine lifted up this afternoon to get a proper look
and when I cleaned the muck away the first 'plug' I referred to is not
a drain plug but appears to be a vent or overflow (I was panicking
when I saw no plug in it, but then found the oil level to be correct)
the real drain plug is small one - the last one I mentioned.
Hope you get on with the Gem, it's still the machine of choice for
serious rotavating - I've yet to see anything better, though it is a
bit of a beast until you get to know it.

Old 25-04-2005, 07:45 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

wrote:

[...]

many thanks for you help... it is a serious machine! it is currently in a
ditch and i cant get it out on my own! went a bit to close to the edge of
a slope!!

Steve

Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

checked the oil level in the gem today. its was spot on half way up the
dipstick when rested on the threads. nice and clean too...but im a bit
concerned at the treackly thickness of it though. i think its worth
changing! this is one excelent tool...effortlessly turns old lawn into
something to plant flowers into!

steve

Old 02-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Rod

On Sun, 1 May 2005 19:58:14 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

checked the oil level in the gem today. its was spot on half way up the
dipstick when rested on the threads. nice and clean too...but im a bit
concerned at the treackly thickness of it though. i think its worth
changing! this is one excelent tool...effortlessly turns old lawn into
something to plant flowers into!

Don't forget the oil in there would be a gear oil something like SAE90
so it will be thick. If I was changing ours now I'd probably stick
with that being a bit conservative and old fashioned, though for
everything on our tractors including hydraulics, engine, gearboxes etc
we use a modern multipurpose oil which is supposed to be OK down every
hole on the machine. What you need to worry about is if the oil is a
creamy consistency which indicates it's contaminated by water
(condensation usually) and the performance of the oil will be
seriously compromised.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

wrote:

[...]

no, luckily its nice and clear save for air bubble's in suspension. i think
i bought a good un!

Steve