Old 25-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Mook23

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
. ..
Go over the considerable literature that has been written on the breeding
of New World Solanum, Lycopersicon and Capsicum as well as the taxonomic
literature and recent DNA studies and you will find plenty of info on the
interrelationship between the genera. It will save you time with your idle
speculation once you enlighten yourself on what is already known. That is
what you should see, you mook. I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying you
should be more realistic about the actual limitations. You are stepping
into well trod ground here. Your idea is not a new one at all.

Trust me, I'm trying to get my hands on anything I can find. From what I
can tell, the orriginal "star fruit" that came over to the old world were
much closer to pepper than they currently are. I've located a few species
of heirloom plants that I feel sort of straddle the ground between the two
species. If you have any specific references, I'd love to track them down.
There is some speculation on whether or not the botany program at our local
university will be continued or not, so I may not have contact with
professors who could be of some help in this respect. I thought I'd start
out with some preliminary experiments and see where they take me. I don't
have access to a lab or any fancy equipment, but I'm still hopeful. I think
it's mostly a matter of finding species which will produce fertile fruits.