Old 25-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Elaine T

Reel McKoi wrote:
"George" wrote in message
news:_qbbe.19132$NU4.13234@attbi_s22...

Hi all. Well, I was feeding my fish today and noticed that there was a

little

munchkin lurking about in the mid-level of the pond. I kneeled down to

get a

closer look and discovered that it is a goldfish (just now starting to

change

color from its baby black) fingerling about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. Now,

my

goldfish haven't spawned yet this year as far as I know. They spawned

last year

at about this time of year or maybe a little later, and it took the

surviving

fry all summer to reach the size of this one. Where it came from is a

mystery.

I haven't seen any others in the pond. last years' brood are about 3

times the

size of this one. He appears to be healthy. I checked all the typical

hiding

places that the fry congregated in last year, and found nothing. This one

has

apparently be in there for a little while, as it is swimming with the rest

like

it belonged. Strange goings on down in the deeps!

==========================
I have a similar oddball in my mid size pond. All I have in there are
shubunkins and koi - but I suddenly spotted a dark brown GF about 1' long.
Duh! I'm clueless as to where it came from since the regular comets are
behind the house. It must have been an egg that stuck to my hands or

I think I remember reading on a shubunkin breeding page that shubunkins
can sometimes throw a brown GF revertant. Maybe that's where it came
from. Now George's is REALLY a mystery.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__