Old 25-04-2005, 08:21 PM
George

Default Mysterious appearance of newbie

Hi all. Well, I was feeding my fish today and noticed that there was a little
munchkin lurking about in the mid-level of the pond. I kneeled down to get a
closer look and discovered that it is a goldfish (just now starting to change
color from its baby black) fingerling about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. Now, my
goldfish haven't spawned yet this year as far as I know. They spawned last year
at about this time of year or maybe a little later, and it took the surviving
fry all summer to reach the size of this one. Where it came from is a mystery.
I haven't seen any others in the pond. last years' brood are about 3 times the
size of this one. He appears to be healthy. I checked all the typical hiding
places that the fry congregated in last year, and found nothing. This one has
apparently be in there for a little while, as it is swimming with the rest like
it belonged. Strange goings on down in the deeps!

~George~

Here is a quicktime movie of my albino cat being fed (from last year - he's much
bigger now).

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/catfish_eating.MOV

Old 25-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
[...]

==========================
I have a similar oddball in my mid size pond. All I have in there are
shubunkins and koi - but I suddenly spotted a dark brown GF about 1' long.
Duh! I'm clueless as to where it came from since the regular comets are
behind the house. It must have been an egg that stuck to my hands or
......??!??!?!?!?!?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 25-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Elaine T

Reel McKoi wrote:
"George" wrote in message

[...]

.....??!??!?!?!?!?

I think I remember reading on a shubunkin breeding page that shubunkins
can sometimes throw a brown GF revertant. Maybe that's where it came
from. Now George's is REALLY a mystery.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 02:31 AM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..
Reel McKoi wrote:
"George" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, especially since none of my fish have yet to exhibit any mating behavior
this spring. I'm going to have to wait to investigate it further since the
weather is supposed to turn nasty for the next couple of days. I'm going to
have to dismantle the waterfall and see if there are others hiding in there.
Who'd have thought that the new messiah would be a goldfish? :-)

Old 26-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
Yeah, especially since none of my fish have yet to exhibit any mating

behavior
this spring. I'm going to have to wait to investigate it further since

the
weather is supposed to turn nasty for the next couple of days. I'm going

have to dismantle the waterfall and see if there are others hiding in

there.
Who'd have thought that the new messiah would be a goldfish? :-)

=========================
Let us know if he "walks on water." )
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 26-04-2005, 04:49 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
Yeah, especially since none of my fish have yet to exhibit any mating

behavior
this spring. I'm going to have to wait to investigate it further since

the
weather is supposed to turn nasty for the next couple of days. I'm going

have to dismantle the waterfall and see if there are others hiding in

there.
Who'd have thought that the new messiah would be a goldfish? :-)

=========================
Let us know if he "walks on water." )
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

The real question is was it a virgin birth or spontaneous generation???

Old 26-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

Yeah, especially since none of my fish have yet to exhibit any mating

behavior

this spring. I'm going to have to wait to investigate it further since

the

weather is supposed to turn nasty for the next couple of days. I'm going

have to dismantle the waterfall and see if there are others hiding in

there.

Who'd have thought that the new messiah would be a goldfish? :-)

=========================
Let us know if he "walks on water." )
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

The real question is was it a virgin birth or spontaneous generation???

And where are all those darned Jehovah's Witnesses when we actually need
them?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 07:09 AM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Shooo. You'll scare the rabbit.

George looking for Elmer Fud

Old 26-04-2005, 12:09 PM
2pods

" The real question is was it a virgin birth or spontaneous generation???

And where are all those darned Jehovah's Witnesses when we actually need
them?

LOL :-)

Peter

Old 26-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"Elaine T" wrote in message
And where are all those darned Jehovah's Witnesses when we actually need
them?

I really hope that i never come to the point where I NEED a JW.

Reminds me of a joke: What do you get if you cross a Jehovas Witness with a
Truck driver? Someone that knocks on your door every Sunday morning and
tells you to F off!!!!
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 26-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Reel McKoi

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
"Elaine T" wrote in message
And where are all those darned Jehovah's Witnesses when we actually need
them?

I really hope that i never come to the point where I NEED a JW.

Reminds me of a joke: What do you get if you cross a Jehovas Witness with

Truck driver? Someone that knocks on your door every Sunday morning and
tells you to F off!!!!
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

==============================
LOL!!!! :-D
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 26-04-2005, 08:33 PM
George

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
George wrote:

Now, my
goldfish haven't spawned yet this year as far as I know. They spawned
last year at about this time of year or maybe a little later, and it took
the surviving fry all summer to reach the size of this one. Where it came
from is a mystery.
I haven't seen any others in the pond. last years' brood are about 3
times the size of this one.

If they spawned once, I'd be _really_ surprised if they didn't spawn again -
you just missed it. This one is left from a later spawning. There's
probably even smaller ones you haven't noticed yet.
--
derek

Well, I won't know for sure about that until I dismantle the rocks around the
filter, which is under the waterfall (all of it is in the pond), and that won't
happen until the weather cooperates. I'll keep everyone posted. If they
spawned, they did it very early when the water was still very cold. Looks like
we might get a break in the weather tomorrow.

Old 27-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
[...]

No doubt about it- hanky panky in the pond. lol I found a newbie Koi among my roughly 100 still black goldfish. He was about an inch long- white with a big red polka dot on his back. I had to look twice. First baby Koi in this pond.