Old 26-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Peter Jason

Thanks. I do know about the Clorox method and the other which is the
application of C12 quaternary compound (supposed to leave a retardant film
on the slate surface), but the only reason I have not tried these is
because I fear my gutters corroding. But I will try the Clorox method after
the Roundup (applied yesterday) works or not works. ncidently I have just
had my drains routed for roots (there were plenty) and the plumber said that
the terra-cotta drains were cracked and that I should flush some copper
salts down the toilet to dissuade future root infiltration. Before the
plumber arrived and while the drain was still backed up I emptied some
Roundup into it in the hope this might kill a large length of root.
Anyway, now I have a bag of copper sulfate next to the toilet and I throw
about half a kilo down the bowl twice a week followed by a half flush.

Do you know if this sort of thing works well?

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
. ..
I think Roundup is overkill for all of these. Not to mention that the
runoff onto foundation plantings would be sure to create a disaster. Pool
chemicals, Porch & Deck cleaners, and Clorox would be easier, safer and
better to use than Roundup (not to mention one heck-of-a-lot cheaper). The
moss will still require a stiff brush to get it off the slate once it's
dead by any means. It doesn't just let go and float off with the next rain.
Leaving the dead moss there is just making a nice fertile place for new
spores to germinate once conditions return to normal (after a few heavy
rains). Regular spraying with any of the above will insure inhospitable
conditions. Use pool algaecide at about 1-2 Tbsp/gal; clorox at 5-6 oz/gal;
porch & deck cleaners come in spray bottles ready to use or dilute
concentrates according to the bottle. An easy way to do this would be to
buy a hose-end proportioner where you fill the bottle, screw in onto the
end of the hose, and spray your roof from the ground. Make sure it can
reach that far before buying it.
Gary
"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I want to get rid of moss & lichens on my slate roof. Also does it kill
bacteria, which are plants evidently?