Old 25-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Peter Jason

Default Does 'RoundUp' work on ALL plants?

I want to get rid of moss & lichens on my slate roof. Also does it kill
bacteria, which are plants evidently?

Old 26-04-2005, 12:33 AM
V_coerulea

I think Roundup is overkill for all of these. Not to mention that the runoff
onto foundation plantings would be sure to create a disaster. Pool
chemicals, Porch & Deck cleaners, and Clorox would be easier, safer and
better to use than Roundup (not to mention one heck-of-a-lot cheaper). The
moss will still require a stiff brush to get it off the slate once it's dead
by any means. It doesn't just let go and float off with the next rain.
Leaving the dead moss there is just making a nice fertile place for new
spores to germinate once conditions return to normal (after a few heavy
rains). Regular spraying with any of the above will insure inhospitable
conditions. Use pool algaecide at about 1-2 Tbsp/gal; clorox at 5-6 oz/gal;
porch & deck cleaners come in spray bottles ready to use or dilute
concentrates according to the bottle. An easy way to do this would be to buy
a hose-end proportioner where you fill the bottle, screw in onto the end of
the hose, and spray your roof from the ground. Make sure it can reach that
far before buying it.
Gary

Old 26-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Peter Jason

Thanks. I do know about the Clorox method and the other which is the
application of C12 quaternary compound (supposed to leave a retardant film
on the slate surface), but the only reason I have not tried these is
because I fear my gutters corroding. But I will try the Clorox method after
the Roundup (applied yesterday) works or not works. ncidently I have just
had my drains routed for roots (there were plenty) and the plumber said that
the terra-cotta drains were cracked and that I should flush some copper
salts down the toilet to dissuade future root infiltration. Before the
plumber arrived and while the drain was still backed up I emptied some
Roundup into it in the hope this might kill a large length of root.
Anyway, now I have a bag of copper sulfate next to the toilet and I throw
about half a kilo down the bowl twice a week followed by a half flush.

Do you know if this sort of thing works well?

. ..

Old 26-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Jim Stewart

Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

Copper sulfate is the best thing for roots
in the drainpipe. It does work, though it's
illegal in many places here in the US.

Marine life is highly sensitive to copper and
since treatment plants don't remove it, so
keep that in mind and don't use more than
necessary.

I think that Roundup has to be applied to green
leaves and activated by sunlight. I doubt it
did anything in the drain.

My parents lived on the Pacific coast and had
a big moss problem on their roof. My dad used
rock salt and said it worked well.
Old 28-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Peter Jason

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Peter Jason wrote:
[...]

I have had a lot of luck killing the green moss that grows on old concrete
in damp places. I mix denatured alcohol and water 50/50 and just spray
this on when the surface is dry.
It kills all within a week and leaves the concrete 'bleached' white.

Perhaps Vodka (neat) would work too.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Sean Houtman

"Peter Jason" wrote in
:

[...]

You probably don't need to use that much copper sulfate at a time,
and I would suggest checking with your local laws about dumping
Roundup down the drains. Here in the US, it is illegal to do that.

Sean

Old 01-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Peter

Jeys disinfectant fluid kills moss. Mix as directed on the tin.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Will Roundup work on the Roots? [email protected] Bamboo 3 15-01-2006 07:22 PM
How does UV filter really work? BenignVanilla Ponds 7 04-04-2003 03:32 PM
Fence Post Protector does it work? has anybody used it? dp Gardening 7 12-02-2003 05:25 PM
Fence Post Protector does it work? has anybody used it? Gary Woods United Kingdom 2 12-02-2003 11:54 AM