Old 26-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

You can grow Clematis through hedges, Janet - I'm sure Charlie will
recommend which are best but my fil had Mde. Le Coultre going through
Camellias in his Camellia Walk and as it flowered after they did, the

effect
was spectacular and confusing to the unwary! ;-)

Well Hawthorn needs cutting twice a year Sacha so I didn't think that
clematis would be feasible. I generally cut late may and again in late
September. If it would take a clematis what about the competition at
soil level?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

If you can get a clematis through the initial few months it has a root
system designed to cope with competition and will have no trouble out
competing a hawthorn hedge, the mistake most people make is that it will get
going without their help, but the initial root ball is simply not big
enough, so you either have to grow on in a larger container or give some
assistance especially if the plants you are growing into are already well
established.
For may September hedge cutting, two you could try would be Etoile Violette
and Margot Koster, although its late to prune them, its ok for these two as
they will still flower by late June (Normally early May for me, despite hard
pruning in February) and will be over by September. if the season is fair
you may even get some autumn flowers in October :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk