Old 28-04-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Catalytic Converters for Small engines

Given the extraordinary amount of pollution produced by small engines,
you'd think that cat converters would be more common by now. I believe
there's US legislation requiring serious reduction in pollution in new
machines by 2007, but I'm not sure. My research did turn up lobbying
efforts by Briggs and Straton to defeat such legislation in California
a few years back - way to lead us forward, B&S!

Anyway I've found a couple of links for companies who claim to be
working on aftermarket cat converters for small engines, but so far
nothing actually shipping. Anyone know of a company who's doing this
for real?

In a related question, a CBC TV news item a while back featured a guy
in the maritimes who's been custom-building these things for just this
purpose, and had them tested and proven effective by some Canuck gov
department, but he can't seem to get anyone interested in funding
manufacture. I'd love to have the guy's name.

-=s