Old 28-04-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Catalytic Converters for Small engines

Given the extraordinary amount of pollution produced by small engines,
you'd think that cat converters would be more common by now. I believe
there's US legislation requiring serious reduction in pollution in new
machines by 2007, but I'm not sure. My research did turn up lobbying
efforts by Briggs and Straton to defeat such legislation in California
a few years back - way to lead us forward, B&S!

Anyway I've found a couple of links for companies who claim to be
working on aftermarket cat converters for small engines, but so far
nothing actually shipping. Anyone know of a company who's doing this
for real?

In a related question, a CBC TV news item a while back featured a guy
in the maritimes who's been custom-building these things for just this
purpose, and had them tested and proven effective by some Canuck gov
department, but he can't seem to get anyone interested in funding
manufacture. I'd love to have the guy's name.

-=s

Old 28-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Given the extraordinary amount of pollution produced by small engines,
you'd think that cat converters would be more common by now. I believe
there's US legislation requiring serious reduction in pollution in new
machines by 2007, but I'm not sure. My research did turn up lobbying
efforts by Briggs and Straton to defeat such legislation in California
a few years back - way to lead us forward, B&S!

I'm sure it will come. I [pollute more cutting my grass that my drive to
work each day.

Biggest problem I see is cost. Gone will be the $89 weed trimmer and $99
chain saw.

Auto industry fought it too, but turns out we have many side benefits.
Leaded gas is gone along with spark plugs that fouled in 10,000 miles or
less, and oil changes every 1000 miles.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 03-05-2005, 09:30 PM

i go to kohler, echo ,kawasaki,briggs,tecumseh,stihl engine schools
every year. ive been hearing there will be cat converters and fuel
injection on small engines since 1993. kohler has a gas engine with fuel
injection but customers dont want it. lawn boy 2 strokes are no longer
to be made as of this year and that all 2 strokes will be history in the
next 10-15 years ........ i will say that 4 stroke small engines have
been improved on vastly over the last ten years as far as polluting
less, due mostly to improved carb and intakes and overhead valves and
electronic ignitions. best regards, lucas