Old 28-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Peter Jason

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Peter Jason wrote:
Thanks. I do know about the Clorox method and the other which is the
application of C12 quaternary compound (supposed to leave a retardant
film on the slate surface), but the only reason I have not tried these
is because I fear my gutters corroding. But I will try the Clorox method
after the Roundup (applied yesterday) works or not works. ncidently I
have just had my drains routed for roots (there were plenty) and the
plumber said that the terra-cotta drains were cracked and that I should
flush some copper salts down the toilet to dissuade future root
infiltration. Before the plumber arrived and while the drain was still
backed up I emptied some Roundup into it in the hope this might kill a
large length of root. Anyway, now I have a bag of copper sulfate next to
the toilet and I throw about half a kilo down the bowl twice a week
followed by a half flush.

Do you know if this sort of thing works well?

Copper sulfate is the best thing for roots
in the drainpipe. It does work, though it's
illegal in many places here in the US.

Marine life is highly sensitive to copper and
since treatment plants don't remove it, so
keep that in mind and don't use more than
necessary.

I think that Roundup has to be applied to green
leaves and activated by sunlight. I doubt it
did anything in the drain.

My parents lived on the Pacific coast and had
a big moss problem on their roof. My dad used
rock salt and said it worked well.

I have had a lot of luck killing the green moss that grows on old concrete
in damp places. I mix denatured alcohol and water 50/50 and just spray
this on when the surface is dry.
It kills all within a week and leaves the concrete 'bleached' white.

Perhaps Vodka (neat) would work too.