Old 28-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Mike Lyle

Sue Begg wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that

are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and

came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I
think it may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Mine also in Aberdeenshire seems to have deceased. A lot of things
that survived the last couple of years in Aberdeen city have not
survived the winter out here in the wilds of New Deer. I think the
cold wind is a major factor because a ground hugging Ceanothus has
stayed green. Even Lavatera and Hebe have died here.

They certainly won't stand cold winds; and as niteowl mentions that
they're straggly, I wonder if shade may be a problem. I find they can
die back in shade from other shrubs nearby after a few seasons: when
the neighbours were smaller, the ceanothus had enough light, but
conditions changed as the others grew. I think others mentioned here
that once a limb of ceanothus starts dying back it's likely to go all
the way.

--
Mike.