Old 27-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Post Another sickly ceanothus

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)
Old 28-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Quite likely. I would give it a month or two, to see if it picks
up, and scrap it if not. I got rid of mine on the grounds that it
had got out of hand, but it was in a sun trap in Cambridgeshire.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Mine also in Aberdeenshire seems to have deceased. A lot of things that
survived the last couple of years in Aberdeen city have not survived the
winter out here in the wilds of New Deer. I think the cold wind is a
major factor because a ground hugging Ceanothus has stayed green. Even
Lavatera and Hebe have died here.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 28-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Mike Lyle

Sue Begg wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that

are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and

came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I
think it may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Mine also in Aberdeenshire seems to have deceased. A lot of things
that survived the last couple of years in Aberdeen city have not
survived the winter out here in the wilds of New Deer. I think the
cold wind is a major factor because a ground hugging Ceanothus has
stayed green. Even Lavatera and Hebe have died here.

They certainly won't stand cold winds; and as niteowl mentions that
they're straggly, I wonder if shade may be a problem. I find they can
die back in shade from other shrubs nearby after a few seasons: when
the neighbours were smaller, the ceanothus had enough light, but
conditions changed as the others grew. I think others mentioned here
that once a limb of ceanothus starts dying back it's likely to go all
the way.

--
Mike.

Old 28-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Magwitch

Nick Maclaren muttered:

In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Quite likely. I would give it a month or two, to see if it picks
up, and scrap it if not. I got rid of mine on the grounds that it
had got out of hand, but it was in a sun trap in Cambridgeshire.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.

Old 28-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Magwitch writes:

| I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
| bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
| edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
| winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.

It will probably die anyway. They are as hard to transplant as
brooms. Start with a new one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Yep, cold winds seem favourite. Mike suggested shade as a problem but this one gets plenty of sun. I think when the wind comes whistling in from the North Sea it's just too much for these plants. Thanks to all who have replied.
Old 29-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Dave

Nick Maclaren muttered:

In article ,
niteowl wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

Quite likely. I would give it a month or two, to see if it picks
up, and scrap it if not. I got rid of mine on the grounds that it
had got out of hand, but it was in a sun trap in Cambridgeshire.

Magwitch writes
I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.

I had a small one that had been run over by builders, and eventually
took pity on it, dug it up, pruned the broken branches and also some
roots, and chucked it in a bucket of water around this time of year.
Three days later I planted it more in hope than expectation and now some
5 or 6 years on its a huge low mound about 10ft across, three feet high!
--
David
Old 29-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave writes:
| Magwitch writes
| I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
| bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
| edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
| winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.
|
| I had a small one that had been run over by builders, and eventually
| took pity on it, dug it up, pruned the broken branches and also some
| roots, and chucked it in a bucket of water around this time of year.
| Three days later I planted it more in hope than expectation and now some
| 5 or 6 years on its a huge low mound about 10ft across, three feet high!

Plants like brooms and ceanothus move better when small, and my
limited experience is that older ones sometimes move and sometimes
don't. I have rarely had them suffer a serious check and then
recover, the way that more 'movable' plants do; mine have tended
to either drop dead or carry on growing.

It's generally worth a go if the plant is going to be got rid of
otherwise.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Sacha

On 1/5/05 11:40, in article , "Lee
and Kath" wrote:

On 28 Apr 2005 10:59:43 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , Magwitch writes:

| I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
| bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
| edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
| winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.

It will probably die anyway. They are as hard to transplant as
brooms. Start with a new one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If some plants are notoriously bad to transplant and die at the first sniff of
being moved, how come
they are OK to buy as pot plants?

How do we ever manage to buy these ?

When you buy them as potted up plants you're taking their planting
environment with them. It's a sort of self-contained unit which suffers
minimal root disturbance because it's contained in a small area. When you
uproot something well-established in the garden and move it, the roots are
probably bigger and have spread further and therefore the disturbance is
greater. If you look at the roots in a potted up plant, they're a neat,
tidy bundle, not a sprawling mass over and down several feet.
This is why, when people want to move large shrubs or tricky shrubs, they're
advised to take a (comparatively) huge amount of soil around the root with
it. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. People do buy mature
trees with enormous root balls, for thousands of pounds, and transplant them
- but the risk is theirs!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lee and Kath wrote:

If some plants are notoriously bad to transplant and die at the first sniff of being moved, how come
they are OK to buy as pot plants?

The other postings answered most of this, and I have little to add.
There is a secondary aspect that is worth taking note of.

Some plants are happy in pots when very small, but don't do well if
left too long in pots. Such plants are better bought small - i.e.
a large plant isn't worth more, but less (whatever is charged for it)!

I have planted such things too late, and they don't take off. When
I have dug them up later, I have found that their main roots were
still in the shape of the pot and they hadn't established a wide-
ranging root system.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:16:48 +0000, niteowl
wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

The really good ceanothus species are Californian and generally are
native to fairly mild Mediterranean climates: in the sense of lots of
winter rainfall and a long, sunny, dry summer.

Admittedly I'm basing this remark on a possibly faulty stereotype of
Scottish weather, but I can hardly imagine a climate less congenial to
ceanothus, what with clouds, chill, and rain.

Warmth and sun and drought: that's what they want, though they
probably do better with some moisture down deep.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Sacha

wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

The really good ceanothus species are Californian and generally are
native to fairly mild Mediterranean climates: in the sense of lots of
winter rainfall and a long, sunny, dry summer.

Admittedly I'm basing this remark on a possibly faulty stereotype of
Scottish weather, but I can hardly imagine a climate less congenial to
ceanothus, what with clouds, chill, and rain.

Warmth and sun and drought: that's what they want, though they
probably do better with some moisture down deep.

They do very well in the bits of this country I've lived in though those are
admittedly southish and warmish. But all bits are wettish. ;-) My own
experience of Ceanothus is growing them in the Channel Islands and here in
the south west of England where they grow fast and well. I know their
'nickname' is Californian Lilac but they seem to me to have adapted pretty
well to NON long sunny, dry summers! We sell a lot of them - very popular
plants round here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sickly Ceanothus Tiger303 United Kingdom 4 19-01-2005 01:05 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
sickly looking habanero MOO112 Gardening 15 13-06-2003 12:32 PM
sickly looking azaleas Jane Gardening 1 10-04-2003 08:56 PM
Do These plants look sickly? Cowboy Gardening 7 07-03-2003 06:56 PM