Old 28-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Katra

In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

OK, I know they aren't palms or ferns or related, that they are one of
Earth's oldest life forms, have dozens of varieties, and are strange and
wonderful things.

I found one on Craigslist. It's a medium sized plant - the stalk-root is
about 1 1/2 foot across and 3 foot long, with 2 1/2 to 3 ft fronds. The
owner didn't want it around and helped dig it up. We had to cable around
it and jerk it out with a truck. It was in too small a space for its
growth, and he doesn't care for palms, cycads, cactus or succulents. Now
it's in my carport.

I believe it will last ok for a week or so until the scars dry over.
Then I'll sulpher it and plant it. Probably in a large plastic pot - one
that trees or shrubs come in would work. Does anyone in Austin have one?
Did you landscape and have some big pots you don't want to throw away,
but may not really use? I'd like to have one - would pay a reasonable
(cheap) price. Any info on where I can find them commercially also
appreciated.

I removed all the pups. They are 1 1/2 to 6 inches across. I'm potting
and keeping some, but have others that I'll trade. Most interested in
agave, yucca, iris and other lilleacie; cacti and succulents of various
sorts; native perennials, bushes or small trees (like ficus benjamina or
redbud) - anything exotic really.

Cowboy

You can get some reallly big pots at "It's About Thyme" down on South
Manchaca for $5.00.

They have ones slightly larger than 5 gallon for that. I've bought some
and we have a Ginko tree planted in one, and I've used the others for
permanent quarters for Wisteria, Passion vine and Clematis.

I have a small cycad in my greenhouse. You will need to protect it
during the winter.

Lovely plants. :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain