Old 28-04-2005, 04:05 PM
simy1

JackRabbit wrote:
Got the results yesterday from UMass. They say I need to apply a

fertilizer
that has a breakdown of 20-3-12 at 5lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have no

idea
where to get this.

An alternative was to apply 2lb of P, 2lb of K, and 1 lb of nitrogen.

If I
can't find the mixture above, what would I buy at the HD or garden

shop to
accomplish this mix.

Thanks for your time. My lawn looks like hell

The first and second paragraph are inconsistent, because if you mix
those pounds you will have a 1-2-2 profile. I assume 20-3-12 is what
you want.

The cheapest source of N is urea at 46% by weight, which is commonly
sold in farm supply stores.
The cheapest source of K is wood ash at 8% by weight, found in wood
stoves throughout the country. Wood ash would have P at perhaps 2% by
weight, fulfilling that requirement as well. If not, the farm supply
store will provide you with various chemicals containing P and K at
about 40% by weight, which you will have to mix properly.
It would be best if you could mix it all with a larger amount of
compost before spreading.