Old 29-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Jim Anderson

In article , fro2750
@frontiernet.my_finger.net says...

In article ,
says...

Ok - Here is my tank set up -
I put ammonia in the tank to start the fishless cycle, about a week ago.
The ammonia spiked to off the charts, at least 8.0 ppm. My nitrite is 0.50,
PH is 7.8, Nitrates 0
I had money wort and anacharis and they both died. I am guessing the ammonia
was just to high??
I have laterite mixed with my large gravel. Gravel depth is about 3-4
inches. HOB aqauclear filter, 150 watt heater (76-78 degrees). CO2 injector
bought from Petsmart.
Bought the plants, looked healthy with good green leaves. Now they are
falling apart, and brown.

Thanks for help,
Connie

"Connie" wrote in message
According to that article, yes... ammonia is good for plants. But while
cycling my tank, my plants died off... well the anacharis did anyhow ( and
I thought that was a VERY hardy plant)... I made my ammonia spike to above
5 ppm to initiate my fishless cycle.

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...

Can you cycle with plants in the tank...??? Can they make it through the
high amonia spikes?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

I think the main point of the article is with a heavily planted tank...
there is no cycle, the plants use up all of the waste. So if you start
with a heavily planted tank and get it balanced and running for a month,
you can add fish and there will not be a cycle.

.... and all of the bacteria you have grow, will starve to death and
pollute the tank.