Old 29-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Katra

In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

I found one on Craigslist. It's a medium sized plant - the stalk-root is
about 1 1/2 foot across and 3 foot long, with 2 1/2 to 3 ft fronds.

Probably in a large plastic pot - one
that trees or shrubs come in would work. Does anyone in Austin have one?
Did you landscape and have some big pots you don't want to throw away,
but may not really use? I'd like to have one - would pay a reasonable
(cheap) price. Any info on where I can find them commercially also
appreciated.

Cowboy

You can get some reallly big pots at "It's About Thyme" down on South
Manchaca for $5.00.

They have ones slightly larger than 5 gallon for that. I've bought some
and we have a Ginko tree planted in one, and I've used the others for
permanent quarters for Wisteria, Passion vine and Clematis.

I have a small cycad in my greenhouse. You will need to protect it
during the winter.

Lovely plants. :-)

Yeah - I'm looking for more like 20 gallon minimum. It would contain it
for at least 5 years that way. Thanks for the pointer - I'll go see what
they have.

They may have larger or further suggestions, and most of their prices
are pretty fair. I got a BUNCH of "used" 1 gallon pots from them for 10
cents each!

This one has been living outside on the south side of a house for
several years. They are used a fair amount in landscaping - a lot in
Academic settings (they're all over UT - some truely Big Ones)and
commercial buldings. I know most are tropical and will freeze, but there
are some Chinese varieties that routinely survive snow and ice.

There are some great websites about these critters.

Cowboy

I'll have to check that out.

My herbs do well on the West side of the house.
I have sage, thyme, dittany and marjoram that have survived 4 winters so
far, and I had some dill seeds (leftovers from the dill crop last fall)
come up during the winter and survive the frosts.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada