Old 29-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
[...]
Aubretia is over quite quickly though, where as I think pinks are a
very good idea of yours. Apparently, they're making a bit of a
comeback, having been out of fashion for years. I absolutely love
them and they're very generous plants, IMO. My husband bred a
couple and also has a wonderful one called Green Lanes (not his
breeding) which never went into production because, apparently, the
stems were too short. But the scent of it is unsurpassed - I've
never known one so heavenly.

What a shame! The weak-scented ones are a nuisance, and any
well-scented variety should be pushed. Right at the edge, I'd have
thought short stems rather an advantage. I used to flop mine over the
stone edges of slightly raised beds.

--
Mike.