Old 28-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Default Trailling border plants

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?
Old 29-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

gasdoctor wrote:
Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden
vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

It's 'perennials' ;o)

Old 29-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Clive Holden

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden
vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

Aubretia??

Clive in Kent

Old 29-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Sacha

On 29/4/05 9:13, in article
, "Clive Holden
@hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote:

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden
vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

Aubretia??

Cerastium (snow in summer) Nemesias or Diascias. Depending on where you
live, they might come through a winter. IME, once you have Cerastium, you
have it for ever.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 29-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Mike Lyle

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some
garden vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

Aubretia??

Old-fashioned pinks will sprawl over quite nicely if planted near the
edge of the sunny border. The little campanulas, too.

Aubrietas, by the way, go wonderfully with plain wild cowslips.

--
Mike.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
[...]
Aubretia is over quite quickly though, where as I think pinks are a
very good idea of yours. Apparently, they're making a bit of a
comeback, having been out of fashion for years. I absolutely love
them and they're very generous plants, IMO. My husband bred a
couple and also has a wonderful one called Green Lanes (not his
breeding) which never went into production because, apparently, the
stems were too short. But the scent of it is unsurpassed - I've
never known one so heavenly.

What a shame! The weak-scented ones are a nuisance, and any
well-scented variety should be pushed. Right at the edge, I'd have
thought short stems rather an advantage. I used to flop mine over the
stone edges of slightly raised beds.

--
Mike.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Mike Lyle

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some
garden vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

Aubretia??

Cerastium (snow in summer) Nemesias or Diascias. Depending on

where
you live, they might come through a winter. IME, once you have
Cerastium, you have it for ever.

Let's reinforce the warning about cerastium! I've used it in very
unfavourable places, and find it delightful; but in good conditions
it really will become a weed. By "unfavourable places" I mean to
break up the line where a path meets the bottom of a terrace wall or
sleepers retaining a raised bed, that kind of thing.

--
Mike.

Old 29-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Sacha

On 29/4/05 12:58, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
Cerastium (snow in summer) Nemesias or Diascias. Depending on

where
you live, they might come through a winter. IME, once you have
Cerastium, you have it for ever.

Let's reinforce the warning about cerastium! I've used it in very
unfavourable places, and find it delightful; but in good conditions
it really will become a weed. By "unfavourable places" I mean to
break up the line where a path meets the bottom of a terrace wall or
sleepers retaining a raised bed, that kind of thing.

I think the approach to what you plant is determined by your approach to
garden thinking. This is strictly a personal opinion but I positively
dislike very tidy gardens and love it when things seed themselves and pop up
all over the place. We are rooting out some bronze fennel that's rather
overdone the latter but we're also leaving some in a gravel path. And I
like the myrtle which has seeded itself in precisely the *right* place and
is now a 6' young tree! Then there was the optimistic tomato plant that
seeded itself from a tom that fell out of a customer's lunch time salad and
lodged under a bench. That was definitely one of my favourites, even though
the poor thing came to nothing.
And thinking of pretty, trailing plants, Viola labradorica is one of my
favourites though from what I remember from a past garden, it does get about
a bit!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Spider

gasdoctor wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden
vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

--
gasdoctor

Hi again, Gasdoctor,

For early season try Veronica prostrata 'Georgia Blue' (sun, but will
tolerate *slight* shade);
______"______ Chiastophyllum oppositifolium (soft yellow flowers,
dappled shade)
______"______ Lithospermum (Lithodora) diffusum 'Heavenly Blue' (sun,
but prefers acid soil. Will tolerate neutral soil)
______"______ Helianthemums, in variety (many colours, but not blues.
Full sun)

For mid-to-late season try Dianthus deltoides (pink-red flwrs, full sun);
_______"__________ Erigeron karvinskianus 'Profusion' (white-pink-red
flwrs, full sun)
_______"__________ Convolvulus (mauritius) sabatius (irresistable blue
flowers. Not invasive, but borderline hardy. Full sun)

Look at various hardy geraniums. They 'spill' rather than 'trail' over, but
are able to cope with sun and shade.
If you have plenty of space, look at some of the Persicarias.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Old 29-04-2005, 04:34 PM
andrewpreece

"Spider" wrote in message

gasdoctor wrote in message

Ive got a some raised borders approx 9-12 inches high(and some garden
vouchers to spend), one in the sun and one in the shade.

I want something that flowers and trails over the sides

Either annuals or periannials, i dont mind.

Any suggestions?

Convolvulus Sabatius, and Brachycomes ( Mine are called Blue Mist ).
I can't praise the Brachycomes highly enough, continual flowering from
May to the first frosts, delicate fernlike foliage, and no need to deadhead
if you don't want to. They are annuals but survive as perennials in my
garden.
They will trail a good 12" if let go.

Andy.