Old 29-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave writes:
| Magwitch writes
| I want to move a 4-year-old one planted in a panic to get *anything* in a
| bed trashed by builders because I'm devoting the bed to herbs (physic and
| edible). Should I wait until it's flowered or a bit longer and move it in
| winter? It's about 1.3 m all round.
|
| I had a small one that had been run over by builders, and eventually
| took pity on it, dug it up, pruned the broken branches and also some
| roots, and chucked it in a bucket of water around this time of year.
| Three days later I planted it more in hope than expectation and now some
| 5 or 6 years on its a huge low mound about 10ft across, three feet high!

Plants like brooms and ceanothus move better when small, and my
limited experience is that older ones sometimes move and sometimes
don't. I have rarely had them suffer a serious check and then
recover, the way that more 'movable' plants do; mine have tended
to either drop dead or carry on growing.

It's generally worth a go if the plant is going to be got rid of
otherwise.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.