Old 29-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Sacha

On 29/4/05 12:58, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
Cerastium (snow in summer) Nemesias or Diascias. Depending on

where
you live, they might come through a winter. IME, once you have
Cerastium, you have it for ever.

Let's reinforce the warning about cerastium! I've used it in very
unfavourable places, and find it delightful; but in good conditions
it really will become a weed. By "unfavourable places" I mean to
break up the line where a path meets the bottom of a terrace wall or
sleepers retaining a raised bed, that kind of thing.

I think the approach to what you plant is determined by your approach to
garden thinking. This is strictly a personal opinion but I positively
dislike very tidy gardens and love it when things seed themselves and pop up
all over the place. We are rooting out some bronze fennel that's rather
overdone the latter but we're also leaving some in a gravel path. And I
like the myrtle which has seeded itself in precisely the *right* place and
is now a 6' young tree! Then there was the optimistic tomato plant that
seeded itself from a tom that fell out of a customer's lunch time salad and
lodged under a bench. That was definitely one of my favourites, even though
the poor thing came to nothing.
And thinking of pretty, trailing plants, Viola labradorica is one of my
favourites though from what I remember from a past garden, it does get about
a bit!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk