Old 29-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Cereus-validus.....

What little can be told from your pix is that it is probably closest to the
widely grown, weedy Crinum asiaticum. The species is polymorphic in the wild
and there many wild and garden hybrids of it also.

http://www.amaryllidaceae.org/Crinum/index.htm

Old House Gardens does not specilize in tropical bulbs.

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
Crinum is a very large genus and NOT all the species, especially the ones
that normally grow in swampy ground, have a bulb.

Show us pix of the plant in full bloom and it can be identified with
certainty. Will especially need to see pix of the flowers themselves too.

"SedumQueen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Last year, someone in a yahoo pepperomia group thought it was a crinum,
too, but I hadn't been convinced. However, last night I emailed a
website (Old House Gardens) that sells crinums and this is what they
said:

"Thanks for your inquiry! The photos finally came through and we do not
think that what you have is a crinum. A crinum is a bulb and the
foliage would come right out of the ground, there wouldn't be a trunk
or any woody part of the plant. Unfortunately, the bloom looks a little
past it's prime, so it's hard to say what you've got, but we don't
think it's a crinum."

Does anyone else have any idea?