Old 29-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This is the claim for a Camellia japonica in the Pillnitz Gardens
near Dresden. A customer has sent us a pic because he thinks an
unidentified Camellia we have is the same one. But the story is
fascinating - four specimens were sent to Europe to Kew & The

Paris
Botanic Garden but this in Dresden is the only one to survive.

The
Dresden Camellia has a special greenhouse which is wheeled over

this
very large shrub every winter to ensure its survival and it's

*huge*
- very impressive arrangement. --
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

_____________________
I have heard this claim made several times and disputed just as

frequently~~though I don't personally doubt it. Portugal often

insists
theirs are both older and larger. Many gardens in the West Country
also have very large and elderly specimens.
I have always wondered why we use a double 'l' in the

spelling
but not in the pronunciation! Should we get the 'l' out of it as

do
some other countries?! Even the history of its name suggests a
single 'l'.

The Latin form of Fr Kamel's name was "Camellus", and that was the
one Linnaeus (also the Latin form!) used. I think we just pronounce
it wrong, rather than spelling it wrong: poor old Wistaria and
Aubrieta cop it both ways.

I keep trying to say "Camellia" correctly with an "ell", but it never
seems to come out with conviction. Maybe one of these days everybody
will know how to say "Clematis" and "Cyclamen coum".

--
Mike.