Old 29-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Sacha

On 29/4/05 21:24, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Brian wrote:

snip
I have always wondered why we use a double 'l' in the

spelling
but not in the pronunciation! Should we get the 'l' out of it as

do
some other countries?! Even the history of its name suggests a
single 'l'.

The Latin form of Fr Kamel's name was "Camellus", and that was the
one Linnaeus (also the Latin form!) used. I think we just pronounce
it wrong, rather than spelling it wrong: poor old Wistaria and
Aubrieta cop it both ways.

I keep trying to say "Camellia" correctly with an "ell", but it never
seems to come out with conviction. Maybe one of these days everybody
will know how to say "Clematis" and "Cyclamen coum".

This is a touch of "you say potato......." Quite a long time ago we had a
thread on how people pronounce the Latin names of plants - Ray says
CleMAYtis, I say CLEMatis, some say kNIPhofia, others say KNIfofia etc. etc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk