Old 30-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Frank Logullo

"BillC" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have house with a standard septic system (built 2002) in a semi arid
region. I'm thinking of planting tam juniper shrubs above the leach area.

Is this a good or bad idea? Any suggestions for do's and don'ts? Would

other
plant types be better?

IMHO as a septic owner for 30 years I'd leave it in grass. Trees nearby
should not be a problem. Roots in field should not be a problem but you
don't want to get roots in distribution pipes. Do not plant a garden over
it. Some fields also lose water by evaporation and are best just exposed
without shade. I think around here, alternate fields must be installed now,
but before this was the law I had to have a 2nd installed. Apparently they
can lose absorbtion due to salt build up and every few years I need to
switch while the other field regenerates from normal rainfall. Make sure
you have access to cleanout and pump every 2-3 years. Also know where all
your pipes go in case of problems. I have one neighbor that has disregarded
all of this and has never had his tank pumped and he's never had a problem.
I think it is because kids are grown and there is only him and his wife.
Frank