Old 30-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:05:32 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

How long does juglone persist in the soil, and/or after trees are cut
down? I expect the now-sunny area I want to plant tomatoes in is full
of roots.

I _think_ juglone is released by the roots as they rot.

google, google, google

Ah, he

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-193.pdf

According to this fact sheet, tomatoes are sensitive to juglone,
so you might want to consider containers or raised beds there for
a few years. Tilling it up and physically removing the larger
roots would probably help, but I wouldn't want to risk losing
plants there.

I understand wanting to use the space, I just had three large
mulberry-less mulberry trees taken out on Thursday. The center of
the triangle formed by the three trees is pretty barren. I don't
think it's a toxin problem, more a competition problem; but I'm
thinking I won't put anything but some sort of cover crop in that
area for a couple of years. These mulberry-less mulberry trees
sprout all along the roots, so I expect it will take a few years
to really kill the blasted things.

On a brighter note, though, I think they were the major reservoir
for the spit! thrip plague. Around the first of June I could
look up and see all the leaves on these massive trees curling up
from spit! thrip damage. I can't wait to see how my tomatoes
do this year!

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"