Old 30-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"statto" wrote

I have recently bought a small lemon tree in a pot from a garden centre,
where it was displayed oustide, but under cover - it's currently about
1ft in height

I've put it in our conservatory which faces south west, and within
about a week the leaves have started to go yellow and fall off although
there appear to be healthy flowers buds on the plant.

Have I bought a "dud" or am I doing something wrong?

Depends.

How hot is your conservatory compared to outside where it was in the GC? Why
have you got it inside when they are outside plants except if frosty? Then
there is the light difference between inside and out. Outside against a S.
facing wall is fine unless frosty when you bring it in. Ours have been
outside for at least a month with the occasional night in the garage.

Have you got a water tray underneath it, does it sit in water at all?
Certain death for the roots, they hate it.

Do you water it with rainwater especially if in a hard water area? They like
a slightly acid soil.

How often do you feed it? Citrus need feeding all year round at every other
watering with a flush through with clean water between in summer every two
waterings in winter. Chicken manure pellets are good too.

Compost must be freedraining and preferably slightly acid, so I use
ericaceous compost with added bark chippings as used for orchids. Using
ericaceous compost becomes more important if you have to use hard tap water
to water.

They are very prone to Scale Insect, like little brown scales on the
underside of leaves and on stems and branches, check for these.

Hope that helps give you a clue to your problem and if you recognise a
problem above let us know.

--
Regards
Bob