Old 30-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Registered User

Default Lemon tree - yellow leaves

I have recently bought a small lemon tree in a pot from a garden centre, where it was displayed oustide, but under cover - it's currently about 1ft in height

I've put it in our conservatory which faces south west, and within about a week the leaves have started to go yellow and fall off although there appear to be healthy flowers buds on the plant.

Have I bought a "dud" or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Statto.....
Old 30-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"statto" wrote

I have recently bought a small lemon tree in a pot from a garden centre,
where it was displayed oustide, but under cover - it's currently about
1ft in height

I've put it in our conservatory which faces south west, and within
about a week the leaves have started to go yellow and fall off although
there appear to be healthy flowers buds on the plant.

Have I bought a "dud" or am I doing something wrong?

Depends.

How hot is your conservatory compared to outside where it was in the GC? Why
have you got it inside when they are outside plants except if frosty? Then
there is the light difference between inside and out. Outside against a S.
facing wall is fine unless frosty when you bring it in. Ours have been
outside for at least a month with the occasional night in the garage.

Have you got a water tray underneath it, does it sit in water at all?
Certain death for the roots, they hate it.

Do you water it with rainwater especially if in a hard water area? They like
a slightly acid soil.

How often do you feed it? Citrus need feeding all year round at every other
watering with a flush through with clean water between in summer every two
waterings in winter. Chicken manure pellets are good too.

Compost must be freedraining and preferably slightly acid, so I use
ericaceous compost with added bark chippings as used for orchids. Using
ericaceous compost becomes more important if you have to use hard tap water
to water.

They are very prone to Scale Insect, like little brown scales on the
underside of leaves and on stems and branches, check for these.

Hope that helps give you a clue to your problem and if you recognise a
problem above let us know.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Depends.

Yes. I won't repeat what you say, as you have covered everything
I can think of, except for two niggles.

How hot is your conservatory compared to outside where it was in the GC? Why
have you got it inside when they are outside plants except if frosty? ...

It depends where you live. I have just moved mine out, but our
conservatory is (a) south facing and (b) well ventilated. And this
is Cambridge.

How often do you feed it? Citrus need feeding all year round at every other
watering with a flush through with clean water between in summer every two
waterings in winter. Chicken manure pellets are good too.

No, they don't NEED it - they LIKE it. I don't feed mine much (if at
all) in winter. Sprinkling some Epsom salts on the soil is a good
idea for yellowing if you suspect that hard water or nutrient loss
has been the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered User

Thanks Bob
Conservatory is pretty warm. I assumed, that although they are oustide plants in warmer climes, on a breezy south wales coast it would need to b inside until (if) summer really hits.
I'll take your suggestion and try it outside - at least during the days until it really warms up, and get some citrus feed.

Thanks again

Statto