Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 AM
RAINDEAR

you know...i had those exact questions a couple of years ago and i hit up on
my state's extension services (state of new hampshire)....'cept i wanted to
know if i could plant edibles atop the leach field, and here is what i was
told:

elderberry bushes (Sambuca) are the best edibles to plant atop the leach
field cuz its roots don't go deep so none of the waste liquids will go up
the roots and affect the plant. they also recommended sarvisberry
(Amelanchier) and currants, but i settled for the elderberries.

if you plant ANY kind of evergreen, but especially tams, you are giving an
open invitation to spidermites to come into your house and infest your house
plants. spider mites can come into ANY house, even if it's sealed, double
windows, etc., etc. don't take the chance.
--
"Spring has sprung,
the grass has riz -

From: "BillC"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:25:22 GMT
Subject: Planting above a septic leach field ?

From: "BillC"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:25:22 GMT

I have house with a standard septic system (built 2002) in a semi arid
region. I'm thinking of planting tam juniper shrubs above the leach area.

Is this a good or bad idea? Any suggestions for do's and don'ts? Would other
plant types be better?

Thnx