Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:17:53 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:05:32 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

How long does juglone persist in the soil, and/or after trees are cut
down? I expect the now-sunny area I want to plant tomatoes in is full
of roots.

I _think_ juglone is released by the roots as they rot.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-193.pdf

"toxicity can persist for some years after a tree is
removed." Hah! Big help. How *many* years, fellas? Trees came down
after Isabel in Sept, '03 (well, Mr. I'll Be There Tomorrow was
probably done by Dec). I note that the fact sheet mentions large
concentration under canopy, which gives me a little wiggle room.

Tilling it up and physically removing the larger
roots would probably help,

Not with *my* back!

These mulberry-less mulberry trees
sprout all along the roots, so I expect it will take a few years
to really kill the blasted things.

Mulberries are forever! They seem to *thrive* on eradication attempts.

Thanks for the reference. I got my plants yesterday, and am *aching*
to get them in the ground. Well, I still have a couple of Big Pots,
and maybe can find alternative locations for a while. Thanks.